These are a tradition at our house every year at Christmas. I always had them growing up, and when my kids came along, they adopted the love of these little addictions. Salty, crunchy, savory and warm they’re the perfect appetizer to throw on any holiday plate.
You can use regular bacon but I prefer the leaner, much less greasy texture of the turkey bacon. This recipe will make two separate batches (the directions will reflect this).
- 8 cans water chestnuts, drained (whole if you can find them)
- 3 package turkey bacon, cut into thirds
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cooking sherry
- 2 cups Stubbs BBQ saucce
Preheat Oven 350 degrees
- If you have the whole chestnuts, cut each in half then wrap a slice of bacon (a third of a piece) around the chestnut, secure with a toothpick and place in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish or cookie sheet. If you can only find sliced, we usually add three pieces to each piece of bacon
- Mix the Worcestershire Sauce and sherry then pour over the wrapped chestnuts.
- For the second batch, continue as above and place in a separate dish of the same size then pour the BBQ sauce over each.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the bacon has begun to brown and get a little crispy.