I made these last week and therefore do not have a story or quip to go along with the recipe. I do, however, highly recommend you make these today because they’re just that good. Credit goes to How Sweet Eats.
- 2 cups coarsely mashed sweet potatoes (or yams), about 2 large potatoes
- 2 bulbs of roasted garlic
- 1 cup cannellini beans (rinsed and drained if canned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup oat flour (or all-purpose, wheat, etc)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2/3 cup plain coconut Greek yogurt
- handful of kale
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork and place on a paper towel, in the microwave. Microwave for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove, slice in half and let cool until you can scoop out the flesh.
- In a large bowl, coarsely mash beans with a fork. Add in sweet potato and mash together, then add in spices, salt and pepper, minced garlic, banana, panko and flour. Mix together until combined, then place bowl in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. This helps form them into patties
- While mixture is chilling, combine yogurt with 2 bulbs (squeezed out) of roasted garlic cloves, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth then set aside until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Remove mixture from fridge and form into 4-5 equal “dough” balls, then place in the skillet and flatten with the back of a spatula. Allow them to brown, before flipping – about 5-6 minutes. Flip burgers & cook for another 5-6 minutes until browned.
- Assemble by topping burgers with roasted garlic cream, kale and avocados!
To roast garlic, see this tutorial.