We were invited to a friend’s house for a Mardi Gras party this weekend and were asked to bring something to share. After digging through Google for a few minutes, I found these two recipes found at Lunch Box Bunch & Babble and combined them to make something amazing! Jicama, cilantro and lime combined with the black beans and salsa make magic on a tortilla. No, seriously. Magic. These can be served warm, but since I was taking to share, I just loaded up two bowls (one with beans and salsa, the other with the salad), took the bag of tortillas and called it pot-luck. This will make a perfect hot-summer-day option because no cooking is involved and could make a great go-to lunch for the week.
Makes enough to stuff 20 tortillas (and then some!)
- 20 pack flour tortillas, warmed
- 2 cups fresh chopped tomato salsa (I used my favorite jar of salsa)
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Combine salsa, beans in a medium bowl then refrigerate until ready to eat.
Jicama and Cilantro Mexican Salad
- 1 large jicama, peeled, thinly diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems, finely chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 2 avocados, diced
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 limes, juiced
- dash of cayenne
Directions for Salad:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Toss well.
3. Chill for at least a half hour to allow flavors to marinate and mix.
Serve cold with beans and salsa mixture over top of tortillas.