With all the dreary rainy days lately I wanted comfort food so I pulled some beef stroganoff together but knew I’d need a hearty vegetable to go along with it. I found the original recipe for this salad at Epicurious but didn’t notice that I had to soak currents overnight until I was ready to prepare the salad for dinner. It didn’t help that I couldn’t find currents at the store. It’s possible that I couldn’t find them because I don’t know what currents are. I bought dried cherries instead, adapted the recipe and pulled it all together in one bowl 20 minutes before the stroganoff was done. The recipe below is how I prepared it. It was so good and kale always surprises me with how mildly flavored it is. Love it.
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch of kale, center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup raw pine nuts
- Parmesan cheese shavings
- Whisk balsamic vinegar, rice vinegar, honey, oil, and salt in large bowl.
- Add kale, cherries, and pine nuts; toss to coat.
- Let marinate 20 minutes at room temperature, tossing occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese shavings over salad and serve.