Found at Eat at Home, these far exceeded my expectations of a simple and fast dinner. I thought I had a can of enchilada sauce on hand in the pantry but when I pulled everything out to make dinner, I found myself lacking! Not wanting to make a trip to the store for a one can, and with thoughts to call for pizza, I stuck to the budget for the week and didn’t want to disappoint my eleven year old who was eager to help make dinner. I Googled for an enchilada sauce substitute and found the recipe for it below. DE-LI-CIOUS is the only word to describe these. Full of robust flavor these were comfort food at it’s finest!
I also used a taco seasoning recipe that I’ve been using for several batches of tacos because there is so little sodium to it and it’s YUM to the extreme!
- 2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoons. butter
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 recipe for taco seasoning (below) OR 1 packet of taco seasoning mix
- 1 recipe for enchilada sauce (below) OR 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Monterey Jack and cheddar)
- 18 flour tortillas
1. Put taco seasoning*, butter, beans and half the can of tomato sauce in a pan. Heat on medium, mash the beans and mix everything together.
2. Mix the enchilada sauce spices & water with the remaining tomato sauce. Pour a bit in the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan and spread it around. This will help keep the enchiladas from sticking.
4. Spread some mashed beans on each tortilla and top with shredded cheese. Roll up tightly and place in the pan. (Yes, I managed to get all 18 tortillas in the pan.)
5. Pour the sauce over the top and add more cheese to the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Enchilada Sauce – Food.com
- 2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper