I love the story of Ostara, goddess of spring and fertility. Arriving late for spring one year, she was saddened to find a tiny bird whose wings were frozen by the long winter’s snow. Ostara turned the bird into a snow hare, giving him the ability of speed to avoid hunters and survive the winter but she honored his past form by allowing him to lay eggs. His eggs were no ordinary eggs, as they were all the colors of the rainbow!
As the story goes, however, Ostara was angered by the hare’s wild ways with the lady hares and banished him to the skies to live out the rest of his life as the constellation Lepus, forever under the careful watch of the constellation, Orion, the hunter. Still favoring the animal, Ostara allows him one night of freedom each year, to come to earth and hide his colored eggs for the children.
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 1 dozen hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon green onion,minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Cholula hot sauce
- Using a sharp knife, slice each egg in half, lengthwise. Gently remove the yolk halves and place in a small mixing bowl. Arrange the egg white halves on a serving platter.
- Using a fork or potato masher, mash the yolks and add mustard, mayonnaise, onion, Cholula, and salt to taste. Spoon egg yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Sprinkle with paprika.
Did you enjoy this recipe, the photos found here, or Good Stuff in general? Head over to Facebook and like the page! When you Share a recipe (using the social media buttons below each post) with friends and family you’re helping to make the world a better place. And it makes me happy. Mostly it makes me happy. It also helps me, and all the other food blogs used here, to keep doing what we love doing here; sharing good food. Thanks for visiting! – Shanna