Source: The Girl Who Ate Everything
This stuff reminds me of all the things my friends always had at their houses that my mom and I never had at ours. I was a jealous child. Other kids had things like cheesy quesadillas, grilled cheese with Velveeta and white bread. We had things like whole grain bread, real cheese, vegetables and fruit. I just couldn’t comprehend why my mom tortured me so!
I get it now, and enjoy torturing my own children with such things as organic vegetables, whole grains and 100% juice, but once in a while, I like to break out the “poor folks” junk food and get a little old school!
- 40 salted saltine crackers or enough to line your pan
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and
- Line a cookie sheet or jelly with saltine crackers in a single layer.
- In a small pot combine sugar and butter then bring to a boil. Continue to boil for three minutes. It should be a deep caramel color. Immediately pour over saltines then spread to cover crackers completely.
- Bake 5 to 6 minutes – it’ll be bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and let them sit a couple of minutes to melt.
- Spread melted chocolate with a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon. Cool completely and break into pieces.