I had a friend over and needed to whip up something sweet, in a hurry, and this recipe from Our Best Bites had been sitting in my “snacks” favorite folder for quite some time – perfect excuse to get them made!
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. table salt
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. grated orange or lemon peel
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1/3 c. canola oil
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and citrus peel in a large bowl . Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and oil. Add to the dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- In another small bowl, combine the remaining flour and sugar then toss the blueberries in this mixture until they are well-coated. Gently fold the blueberry mixture into the batter. Spoon the batter into lined muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.
For streusel topping:
- Combine the topping ingredients.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the batter and bake for 18 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
Makes 12 muffins.