I made the Paleo Girls frittata a few nights ago (forgive my laziness at not posting that recipe – I’ll get to it, but my picture was BAD so I’ll snap it and post next time I prepare it) and served these grilled beauties with it. Kids love them, The Man love them, I loved them.
The last time I made artichokes, I steamed them and they were good but then I saw this recipe for grilled ‘chokes at Paleo Girls and I couldn’t wait to try them out! Despite the many steps to getting these ready, the steps are simple and quick to follow.
To eat an artichoke, you just pull off a petal, grasp it between your teeth and scrape the ‘meat’ off to enjoy – the deeper you get into the artichoke, the more tender the meat will be and the easier it will come off.
1. cut the stem off, leaving about 1/2 an inch
2. cut off the top inch or so, revealing all the layers.
3. using kitchen shears, cut the thorns off each leaf tip
4. turn upside down on cutting board and slice in half, lengthwise
5. with a spoon, scoop out all the hairy, purpley stuff
6. as you work, and before you move onto the next artichoke, drop each half of prepared ‘choke into a large bowl of water that’s been doused with the juice of one lemon. This’ll keep them fresh looking and they won’t brown.
- 2 lemons, halved
- 6 large artichokes
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. crushed garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 cup extra -virgin olive oil
1. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup lemon juice, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in the oil till mixed.
2. Brush the artichokes with the marinade.
3. Grill immediately for about 5 minutes on each side, or they can be refrigerated for a few hours until you’re ready to grill. Any left over marinade can be used for dipping, but I didn’t think it needed any extra zing, they were perfect!