Source, Pink Parsley. Simple, fast and healthy, this makes a refreshing meal that has plenty of protein without the meat.
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, rinsed and quartered
- kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- black pepper
- 1 can (about 2 cups) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz. can corn
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
1. Toss the tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar in a medium bowl; let stand for up to 30 minutes.
2. Transfer to a colander and toss with rubber spatula until excess liquids have been removed. Some seeds may sneak into the liquid – that’s ok. You could use a salad spinner for this part to remove most of the juice and seeds. I didn’t, and had a lot of seeds in the liquid and still in the tomatoes. No big. You should have between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of liquid reserved, discard any excess.
3. Return tomatoes to the bowl and set aside.
4. Add the liquid to a small saucepan with the garlic, red pepper flakes, shallot, and vinegar. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid has reduced to 3 Tablespoons, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer mixture to a small bowl, and allow to cool about 5 minutes. Whisk in the oil and lime juice, and season with salt and pepper.
7. To the bowl with the tomatoes, add the black beans, corn, scallions, cilantro, and Pepper Jack. Toss with the dressing and serve.