Adapted from Bread & Honey
This is without a doubt the best chili I’ve ever had. It’s just the right consistency, the flavors are perfect together and I’m definitely adding this to a regular dish at our house!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (save a few slices for topping)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large can (28 ounces) crushed or diced tomatoes (I prefer crushed)
- 2 15 oz. cans of beans, drained – black, garbanzos, kidney, and/or pinto (I used kidney and pinto)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (kids don’t do spicy, but I wanted a little kick)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cups vegetable stock depending on how thick you like it (I used 2 cups)
- Heat olive oil over medium-high in a large pot or saucepan.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil and add chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper, and stock. Stir well.
- Turn heat down and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with your favorite chili toppings. I used onions, grated cheese & sour cream.