Source Elly Says Opa
- 1/2 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced (I threw in a few chopped celery leaves for flavor)
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper(s)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning, divided
- 14 oz. turkey smoked sausage
- 1 heaping Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Heat the canola oil in a large skillet (something that has a lid) over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and 1/2 Tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning. Sauté until vegetables are tender.
Add the sausage, tomato paste, parsley, bay leaves and rice. Add the chicken broth, and beans. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until rice is done (approximately 55-60 minutes). Fluff with a fork and serve.
Serves two adults, three kids and at least enough for three more adult meals.