Found at Allrecipes, I needed a way to use up the gorgeous zucchini Stefanie gave us. I’d planned on using half for the brownies and the other half for crab cakes…but after my oldest daughter spent 45 minutes making them & baking them, she removed them from the oven and they CRASHED to the floor leaving glass and chocolaty goo everywhere. Needless to say they smelled too good not to use the rest of the zucchini to remake them and they were worth it!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (left these out, eww!)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 (we went 45 minutes till the toothpick in the center came out clean.) minutes.
- Melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners’ sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.