This recipe from Beyond Macaroni and Cheese, by Mary Beth Lagerborg, comes from my very first cook book that I purchased after I had my first child and realized that I needed to learn how to cook.
- 1 lb. macaroni (I like to use Barilla Plus Multigrain Pasta)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoon hot water
- 7 oz. package sharp cheese, grated
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained thoroughly
- 1 cup, roughly chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 oz. package seasoned croutons, crushed
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 350*.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking roughly chop the spinach and drain the tomatoes thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, combine mustard, salt, water and eggs, then mix until combined. Set aside.
- Pour the egg mixture into cooked and drained macaroni.
- Add the sharp cheddar cheese, then mix in spinach and tomatoes.
- Pour into a buttered 2-quart casserole dish; add milk, sprinkle with croutons and pepper jack cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the custard is set and the top crusty. Serves 8.